You are here
- The Microbiology Graduate Student Organization (MGSO) is affiliated with the Iowa State University Interdepartmental Microbiology Program.
- MGSO is an American Society for Microbiology student chapter.
- We are represented by one senator in the Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS), the self-governing body for graduate students and an important connection between graduate students and new administration policies and programs.
- Meetings are usually held on the first Friday of every month during the school year in 221 Science I and include free pizza.
- Dues at $10 per semester. Attendance is not mandatory, although you get the most out of MGSO if you attend often.
- At least one group social event is organized during each semester. Past events have include ice skating, tubing, canoeing, bowling, and trips to science museums.
- We typically host two invited speakers every year who are nominated and voted on by our members. We have accommodated speakers from across Iowa, the United States, and the world.
- During the summer, we hold weekly "WIP" (Work in Progress) meetings to present our research to each other for constructive criticism in a casual environment.
MGSO regularly participates in local elementary school science nights. There are a variety of microbiological educational presentations that we are able to offer. If you represent a local Ames area school, science group, or other educational organization and would like MGSO to be involved, please contact our current outreach coordinator.
- To organize activities that benefit graduate students involved in all aspects of Microbiology.
- To represent the interest of MGSO members in all matters that may effect them during their stay at Iowa State University (ISU).
- To foster an environment of friendship, camaraderie, and cooperation among MGSO members, between MGSO and faculty and staff, and between MGSO and other ISU associations or organizations.
- To help new Microbiology related students adjust to life at ISU.