- The Microbiology Graduate Student Organization (MGSO) is affiliated with the Iowa State University Interdepartmental Microbiology Program.
- MGSO is an American Society for Microbiology student chapter.
- We are represented by one senator in the Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS), the self-governing body for graduate students and an important connection between graduate students and new administration policies and programs.
- Meetings are usually held on the first Friday of every month during the school year in 221 Science I and include free pizza.
- Dues are $20 per semester. Attendance is not mandatory, although you get the most out of MGSO if you attend often.
- At least one group social event is organized during each semester. Past events have include ice skating, tubing, canoeing, bowling, and trips to science museums.
- We typically host two invited speakers every year who are nominated and voted on by our members. We have accommodated speakers from across Iowa, the United States, and the world.
- During the summer, we hold weekly "WIP" (Work in Progress) meetings to present our research to each other for constructive criticism in a casual environment.
Microbiology Graduate Student Organization
MGSO Upcoming Events
Below is recent work performed by IM Faculty and Graduate Students. IM members are bolded and students have an asterisk (*). Do you have any recent publications or manuscripts in review? Send them to email@example.com in time for the October edition!
4th year PhD candidate, Daniel Nielsen, has received the competitive Talbot Graduate Fellowship in Veterinary Medicine. Daniel has received a $2,000 award for the Fall 2018 semester.
Congrats Daniel! To learn more about Russ and Lora Talbot, click here. Read more about Daniel Nielsen receives Russ and Lora Talbot Fellowship
Dr. Nancy Boury, assistant professor in microbiology, has been selected as the Co-Chair (2019) and Chair (2020) of the American Society for Microbiology Conference of Undergraduate Educators (ASMCUE). Join Dr. Boury and others at the 2019 ASMCUE in Tysons Corner, VA! Read more about Dr. Nancy Boury selected as ASMCUE Co-Chair (2019) and Chair (2020)