- The Microbiology Graduate Student Organization (MGSO) is affiliated with the Iowa State University Interdepartmental Microbiology Program.
- MGSO is an American Society for Microbiology student chapter.
- We are represented by one senator in the Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS), the self-governing body for graduate students and an important connection between graduate students and new administration policies and programs.
- Meetings are usually held on the first Friday of every month during the school year in 221 Science I and include free pizza.
- Dues are $20 per semester. Attendance is not mandatory, although you get the most out of MGSO if you attend often.
- At least one group social event is organized during each semester. Past events have include ice skating, tubing, canoeing, bowling, and trips to science museums.
- We typically host two invited speakers every year who are nominated and voted on by our members. We have accommodated speakers from across Iowa, the United States, and the world.
- During the summer, we hold weekly "WIP" (Work in Progress) meetings to present our research to each other for constructive criticism in a casual environment.
Microbiology Graduate Student Organization
Graham Redweik was one of 75 individuals nationwide awarded a USDA National Institute of Food Agriculture Predoctoral Fellowship. Read more about National Fellowship to prepare graduate student for future in research
Justin Anast, 3rd year PhD student in Dr. Schmitz-Esser's lab, received an International Association of Food Protection (IAFP) student travel scholarship to attend the annual meeting which will be held in Louisville, Kentucky. This highly sought after scholarship covers airfare, registration, meals and hotel. The meeting will focus on current and emerging food safety issues, the latest science, innovative solutions to new and recurring problems, and the opportunity to network with thousands of food safety professionals from around the globe. Read more about Justin Anast awarded IAFP scholarship